Island Orthopaedic Consultants
3 Mount Elizabeth #05-08
Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre
Island Orthopaedic Consultants (Gleneagles)
6 Napier Road #02-16
Gleneagles Medical Centre
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, National University of SIngapore
- Master in Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Dr Leon Foo is an orthopaedic surgeon currently practicing at Mount Elizabeth Orchard Hospital and Gleneagles Hospital. He is fellowship trained in orthopaedic oncology, cartilage regeneration and joint reconstruction surgeries. His special interests include hip, knee, ankle, foot & shoulder problems, sports injuries, arthritis, bone & soft tissue tumours.
- Dr Foo was awarded the prestigious Singapore Government Ministry of Health Training Scholarship to pursue his fellowship training in the dual sub-specialties of orthopaedic oncology, as well as Joint Reconstruction & Replacement at Muenster University Hospital in Germany. This was followed by a further clinical attachment at the world renowned Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minnesota) in the United States of America.
- Upon his return to Singapore in 2010, Dr Foo was made a consultant with the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Singapore General Hospital. His clinical and surgical expertise was much sought after and he was concurrently appointed as visiting consultant to the National Cancer Centre Singapore, KK Women & Children’s Hospital, as well as Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
- Apart from clinical work, Dr Foo is a well-respected teacher, mentor and examiner. He was appointed as adjunct assistant professor to the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, as well as clinical tutor with the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. He is also an Advanced Trauma Life Support instructor and is actively involved as faculty physician for both the Orthopaedic Surgery and Family Medicine Residency Programmes. He continues to be regularly called upon as teaching faculty for both local, as well as international courses and conferences.
- Medical research is a cornerstone of Dr Foo’s work. He is an avid researcher, having published several papers in international, peer reviewed orthopaedic journals. In recognition of his clinical expertise and research contribution, he has been invited and continues to be an expert reviewer for several PubMed indexed international medical journals including the Journal of Arthroplasty, Singapore Medical Journal, and Annals of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore.
- Dr Foo is one of a handful of fellowship-trained orthopaedic oncologists in Singapore. Orthopaedic oncology refers to the sub-specialty of treating both bone and soft tissue tumours. Bone and soft tissue tumours are divided broadly into benign, locally aggressive and malignant. The malignant bone and soft tissue tumours are also often referred to as sarcomas or carcinomas/cancers. As the lead surgical member in the multi-disciplinary oncology team looking after tumour patients, Dr Foo’s contribution lies with his expertise and experience in tumour tissue removal, as well as the subsequent reconstructive surgery. This includes limb preserving surgery for both bone and soft tissue tumours and reconstruction using autografts, allografts and/or mega-prosthesis implants. His guiding philosophy with bone and soft tissue tumour treatment is not only of curative tumour removal but also of appropriate functional reconstructive procedures that allow patients to return to as full and as active a function as possible post-operatively.
- Orthopaedic oncology aside, Dr Foo is also fellowship-trained in joint reconstruction & replacement. His clinical expertise is often called upon in the treatment of hip, knee, ankle, shoulder and elbow problems arising from a variety of causes, be it degenerative (age-related), inflammatory, trauma or sports-related injuries. His surgical repertoire includes the latest technologies in cartilage resurfacing and regeneration, as well as joint reconstruction and replacement, including minimally invasive, key-hole/arthroscopic, computer navigation, customized/patient-specific instrumentation and robotic surgery.-Apart from consistently producing excellent surgical and functional outcomes, Dr Foo is also well loved by his patients for his compassionate and empathic nature. He is a three-time recipient of the “Service with a Heart Award” during his practice at the Singapore General Hospital, testament to the passion that he places in his patients and work. Holistic patient-centric care remains the most important tenet of his clinical practice.
Health articles shared by Dr Foo Siang Shen, Leon
No shared articles found
Questions answered by Dr Foo Siang Shen, Leon View All
No questions found