Colorectal Clinic Associates
319 Joo Chiat Place #05-08
Parkway East Medical Centre
Colorectal Clinic Associates
38 Irrawaddy Road #10-48/49
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, National University of Singapore
Master of Medicine (Surgery), National University of Singapore
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (General Surgery), Edinburgh, UK
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (General Surgery), Glasgow, UK
Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore (General Surgery)
- Dr Charles Tsang is a general surgeon practising at Parkway East Hospital and Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, Singapore. His special interests are in minimally invasive (laparoscopic) and robotic surgery for both cancer and bowel disorders.
- Dr Tsang graduated from medical school at the National University of Singapore in 1987, obtained his fellowship diploma in Surgery from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 1993. He completed a clinical fellowship in surgery at the Leeds General Infirmary, UK in 1994 and went on to successfully complete an advanced residency in colon and rectal surgery at the University of Minnesota. He emerged at the top of the class and was the first non-American to be award the Carl E Christensen Outstanding Resident Scholar Award in 1997. He then successfully defended his thesis in 1998 and graduated with a Master of Science in Experimental Surgery. He became a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine and an accredited specialist in General Surgery in 1999.
- With an experience spanning 15 years as a consultant colorectal surgeon, he was the head and senior consultant, Division of Colorectal Surgery as well as head of Surgical Oncology with the National University Cancer Institute of Singapore, before moving to private practice. As such, he is highly accomplished surgeon, well versed in laparoscopic and robotic surgery for both cancer and benign disorders, proctology, advanced therapeutic endoscopic and functional bowel disorders such as constipation and incontinence.
- Dr Tsang is a member of the Society of Colorectal Surgeons Singapore and an International Fellow of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery. He is also a member of the Board of Governors of the Society for Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia. Dr Tsang is very passionate about teaching undergraduates and postgraduates who is currently an adjunct associate professor of Surgery in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. He was instrumental in starting a highly successful and competitive Fellowship training program in Colorectal Surgery at NUH which has over the years benefited numerous surgeons from ASEAN, China, India and the UK. In 2010, he also started the successful Annual Colorectal Postgraduate Week at NUHS in collaboration with Cedar-Sinai Hospital, Los Angeles.
- Dr Tsang also has an impressive research background, having held grants from A*STAR and EXPLOIT. He has authored and co-authored numerous papers in peer reviewed journals and has contributed to several book chapters. He is a member of the editorial board of Korean Journal of Coloproctology as well as a reviewer with the journal Disease of Colon and Rectum and the British Journal of Surgery.
- Dr Tsang is also a frequent speaker at many international meetings for his expertise in the management of complex anal fistula and colorectal cancer. One of his areas of interest is in endo-rectal and endo-anal ultrasound imaging for which he is a recognized world authority.
- Dr Tsang has won numerous awards including five years of Dedicated Voluntary Service to the Community by the People’s Association in 2003 and the Excellent Service Star and Gold Award in 2008 and 2009 respectively by the National University Hospital. He is currently a visiting consultant with SGH, SingHealth, Ng Teng Fong General Hospital and Jurong Health System.
Health articles shared by Dr Tsang Bih Shiou, Charles
No shared articles found
Questions answered by Dr Tsang Bih Shiou, Charles View All
No questions found