Bowel Trouble: How to Manage Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Last updated: 10 Dec 2017 | 3 min reading time
What is inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)?
- IBD is a term used to describe chronic diseases characterised by inflammation in the gut or digestive tract
- IBD mainly comes in 2 forms: ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- No specific foods are known to trigger IBD
- Approximately 5 million people worldwide struggle with IBD
- IBD rates are rising in Asia
What do people with IBD struggle with?
- Frequent diarrhoea or stomach pain
- Cost of medication
- Lack of social acceptance from family and friends
- Needing regular medication, doctor visits and tests
How to treat IBD
Diagnosis may be done using colonoscopy, CT scan or MRI
Treatment may involve medication or intestinal surgery
How to manage IBD costs using your insurance
- If you have an Integrated Shield Plan that covers private hospitalisation, you are eligible for the Cashless service. Call +65 6812 3776 to find out more.
- Check with your gastroenterologist to find out more on managing IBD with your insurance coverage.